August 14, 2010

Post-Post-Pre-Service Training

In keeping with my recent vow, I made myself sit down and write this update...

I've just returned from two weeks of Peace Corps training back in the good ol' Ouarzazate. I had a splendid time hangin' out with the other volunteers who I hadn't seen since early May, and am forever grateful for the technical training that makes my presence in Morocco much more legitimate than my language skills would otherwise indicate. We learned how to implement different projects in our sites, such as latrine building, peer education, maternal and child health education, etc. I'm still in the "community analysis" phase of my service where I'm slowly but surely trying to assess the needs of my community, but the recent training in Ouarzazate gave me an excellent foundation and context to begin planning future projects.

During my two-week training period, I made a quick overnight trip to visit my old training host family. My three-year old host sister grew tremendously, and was just as fiery and mischievous as ever. It was strange being back, but was nice to visit the town and people that first welcomed me to Morocco.

On my way to Ouarzazate for training, I made a pit-stop in Marrakech to celebrate my birthday-izzzleeee with a gaggle of other volunteers. Most PCVs tend to avoid Marrakech, if possible. The city is hot, dusty, packed with tourists on packaged tours and therefore laden with annoying shopkeepers and unrelenting taxi drivers; it's crowded and chaotic, expensive and disorienting. That was my sixth or seventh time in Marrakech and with each visit, I try so hard to love the place, but the city just isn't growing me...

Agadir, on the other hand, grew on me instantly. A coastal city, intentionally built-up as a tourist destination after an earthquake demolished the city in the 1960, Agadir is high on the list of PCV "favorite cities." Looking to avoid the Tishka pass en route from Ouarzazate to my site (a mountain pass in the High Atlas Mountains, which despite it's natural beauty, can make even the strongest soul terrifyingly car sick, especially when mercury reads a hefty 100+ degrees), as well as take advantage of the opportunity to explore more of this miraculous country, I made a quick trip to Agadir on my way back to site after training. An escape from all things Moroccan, Agadir quickly won my heart. Not sure it's a city I'd love if it wasn't in stark juxtaposition to my site in the countryside (which I also love), but sometimes an escape from Morocco is what a PCV needs. Sidewalk cafes, night clubs, white sandy beaches, good ice cream, good restaurants (Indian, Chinese, and Korean food... McDonald's and Pizza Hut too, but I wouldn't consider that "good"). No hustling from shop keepers, no crowded medina, no wacko taxi drivers. It was still dusty, but I'm learning to deal with that. Also, Agadir reminded me a heckuva lot of Capetown, South Africa.

 
I didn't take any pics while in Agadir, but figured ya'll might want a visual, so this pic is courtesy of google.

I'm back in site now and was welcomed home by lots of mice who discovered that oatmeal shipped from America is delicious. Ramadan also started yesterday, and although I did not fast yesterday or today (I've got the funky stomach right now...), I will do so this weekend. I never fasted in the US, but watched my father do so every year, so I'll consider my presence in Morocco an opportunity to try it out. After all, it should be nice to experience Ramadan in a Muslim country.

Chhheeerrrsssss!

No comments:

Post a Comment