September 28, 2010

A Day In The Life of Adam

I never really blog about the many mundane things that fill my day, yet so many of my fans are probably quite eager to know precisely what I do from sunrise to sunset. So here's a timeline of what I did on Tuesday, September 28th 2010. This may be one of the most boring things you read, but I truly hope you're all as excited to read this as I know my mom will be.

6:30am: Snoozed the alarm.
6:35am: Snoozed alarm.
6:40am: Snoozed alarm again, considered turning off blasted alarm.
6:45am: Gave up battle and woke up instead.
6:50am: Stood up, puzzled by the cooler weather. Walked to kitchen, puzzled by absence of mouse poop. Made coffee.
7:00am: Sipped on coffee, checked email, read NYT online, smiled because Mad Men season 4 episode 5 finished downloading overnight.
7:15am: Scarfed down a cereal yogurt; thought about the fact that cereal means grain in French.
8:00am: Headed to elementary school, conveniently located five steps away from my house.
8:02am: Downed an unfathomably sweet cup o' tea. Blessed the parents of the guy who gave me tea.
8:03am: Chatted with various teachers and school director, talked about weather. Sat awkwardly.
9:30am: Popped into commune building (like City H... errrrr Village Hall) to give my salams.
9:40am: Popped into health clinic; promptly left health clinic... too many eyes staring at me. Returned home.
10:00am: Began arduous task of laundry; loafed around house; perused the internets.
11:00am: Ate cold leftover tomato/cream cheese/bulgar concoction.
11:30am: Sat under olive tree and read Miranda July's "No one belongs here more than you." (Good author... I like the way she thinks).
12:30pm: Biked to nearest middle school and visited some peeps; introduced myself to school director and stared blankly at him as he refused to speak to me in Arabic... French only. Ran into 3'6'' tall saHibi (friend), shocked that he's in middle school, given his minuscule height.
2:30pm: Lost track of time at this point... it happens; chilled in a barber shop with a bunch of dudes that told me how much they like whiskey.
3:00pm: Biked 15km south to buy some fresh butter and recharge my internet stick; sat in a basket shop and waited for a store keeper who, sadly, never came.
4:30pm: Returned home, curious as to why my butter does not smell like butter; appeased craving for french fries by making them out of my 2 month old potatoes. (This craving was obviously rooted in my upcoming trip to France.)
5:30pm: Read more of July; indulged in tasty french fries; blasted Simon and Garfunkel as loud as possible without raising suspicion.
6:30pm: Began writing this blog post. 
--------- None of this has happened yet, but I'm nearly certain it will.
7:30pm: Finish off french fries; lick mayo and ketchup off finger; grumble and burp because I ate too many.
8:00pm: Dishes without running water... it's as exciting as it sounds; sweep up dead cockroaches, fling them into the fields.
9:00pm: Catch up on Mad Men while finishing off the leftover tomato/cream cheese/bulgar concoction.
10:30pm: Freak out 'cause I did not yet fill out the form for tomorrow's visit from my Peace Corps program manager.
10:35pm: Fill out said form.
10:43pm: Kill blasted cockroach that's watching me be productive.
11:00pm: Consider watching another episode of Mad Men... resort to reading instead.
11:45pm: Sleep. Scrub, rinse, repeat.

Don't be fooled, today was not an 'average' day. Average days do not exist anymore. No, everyday is curious in its own way. Some days involve more super-sweet tea, other days involve fewer encounters with people. Some days involve lots of haggling with taxi drivers. Recently, some days involved nothing but sitting naked in my living room with a wet towel being the only thing between me and my fan.

4 comments:

  1. Adam,
    I saw your blog on facebook so this is the first post I have read and absolutely loved it. I'm going to go back a little and read what you have been up to! I'm glad Morocco is keeping you on your toes!

    lots of love, rithi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to read all the blogs from all the volunteers. This way
    I get a good idea what it is like to live in Morocco.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rithi! I miss you! Glad you found my blog. Let me know what you're up to these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I know what this day is like. Enjoying your blog now and looking forward to catching up at IST, too!

    And thanks for reading and commenting on mine--glad it resonated!

    Miss you, southern friend. Hope you're well.

    ReplyDelete